Troopers kill one, wound another in LaPlace drug raid; 3rd suspect surrenders


by Scott Satchfield / Eyewitness News

Posted on August 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Updated Thursday, Oct 22 at 5:00 PM

LAPLACE, La. - State troopers shot and killed one man and wounded another when a drug raid turned into a shootout Friday afternoon.

Video: See report

A massive manhunt was on for a third suspect, identified as 20-year-old Neon Narcisse, who managed to get away. But he and Alonzo Narcisse, 23, surrendered to police around 6 p.m.

Around 11:30 a.m., police were conducting an investigation into drug activity, when the shootout began. Police described it as a drug raid gone bad.

"They (police officers) were engaged by three suspects, possibly more," said Lt. Doug Cain, "an altercation ensued, followed by gunfire. The troopers and deputies were fire upon. They returned fire as they took cover."

Jeremiah Randle, 20, Laplace, was killed and Derrick Dennis, 26, was wounded in the shootout.

?"Upon Derrick Dennis being released into police custody from River Parishes Hospital, Dennis resisted arrest and fled out of the hospital where he was immediately apprehended," said State Police Trooper Joseph Piglia.

Narcisse was charged with attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery, distribution of a Schedule II CDS and simple battery, police said.

Dennis was charged with armed robbery, distribution of a Schedule II CDS, resisting arrest and simple escape.

An addition arrest warrant has been issued for Carnell Randle for his involvement.

A State Police spokesman said one officer was injured in the raid but was treated and released.

After the shootout, the focus by police switched to finding Narcisse. Officers searched a several block area near where the shooting occurred in an attempt to find Narcisse.

Helicopters, SWAT members were brought in to find Narcisse.

Neighbors said the scene was unlike anything they have witnessed before.

"We heard the firing of guns, but we wasn't sure it gunshots," said Lois Belivin.