NEW ORLEANS -- A man accused of gunning down a New Orleans police officer is competent to stand trial, a judge ruled Thursday.
Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Karen Herman said testimony from doctors during an hours-long hearing proved that Travis Boys is ready to face a jury in connection with the shooting of Officer Daryle Holloway.
Hollway was killed as he drove Boys from the NOPD’s 5th District station in St. Roch to the Orleans Parish jail in June 2015.
Jury selection for the 35-year-old suspect’s trial was already underway last month when he smeared feces on his face and ate it in front of potential jurors on Oct. 18. Herman declared him incompetent for trial after that, though her ruling was temporary.
Herman said she reserved the right to declare Boys ready for trial after he was evaluated at the Eastern Louisiana Health System hospital in Jackson.
The judge said doctors there convinced her Boys was faking symptoms.
“In my opinion, he exhibited clearly manipulative behavior on October the 18th and hijacked the course of court proceedings then, and that now has been confirmed as malingering in my opinion,” she said.
“He will no longer be allowed to control these proceedings. It will be back to being as it should be,” the judge added.
Herman set a March 19 trial date.
Before Holloway was killed, Boys was arrested on an allegation he fired a gun at his wife during a domestic incident.
Stay with Eyewitness News on WWL-TV and WWLTV.com for more on this developing story.