NEW ORLEANS – Jade Gisbon’s family members are crying out for answers after the 31-year-old mother was shot to death in the 3800 block of North Prieur Street in the St. Claude neighborhood.

“It's just really hard, like I done lost a piece of myself,” Rhudell Bookman, Gibson’s aunt, said.

According to police, officers responded to reports of shots fired around 11:30 p.m. They found Gibson lying on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds.

Neighbors told Eyewitness News that it appears as if someone kicked in her back door, chased her through the house and shot her on the sidewalk in front of the house.

“It was told to me that she was shot multiple times, but why would you kill, you know, somebody so cold hearted and cold blooded, like that,” Tonya Flowers, a neighbor, said.

Authorities originally issued an Amber alert for Gibson’s 7-year-old son, Kevin, after he turned up missing following the shooting. Police later found the boy at J.D. Ligier’s house around the corner. Ligier said they boy is friends with his son and slept over after Kevin couldn’t locate his mother before the shooting.

“He was over at the house all day and he kept trying to reach his mom on my cellphone and she wasn't answering, so I wasn't going to send him home. He tried to go home and his door was locked,” Ligier said.

Ligier said Kevin and his kids heard the gunshots but did not know police were looking for Kevin. He now believes the boy’s friendship with his son may have saved his life.

“If the shooting happened in that house, Kevin would have been awake at that time, just like he was awake at my house. I fear he would have ran to protect his mom and ended up a victim,” Ligier said.

Gibson had two other children, a 12-year-old who lives out of state and a 10-month old who was not at the home at the time of the shooting. Gibson’s mother is now traveling to New Orleans form South Carolina and is expected to take custody of the two younger children.

Those with information are urged to call Crimestoppers at 822-1111.