NEW ORLEANS - The Saints' Seventh Heaven just became Eighth Heaven.

Wil Lutz kicked a 28-yard field in overtime to give New Orleans a 34-31 win over Washington for the Saints' eighth straight win, matching their longest winning streak since the 2011 season.

The Saints, who trailed the Redskins 31-16 with 5:58 to go, got within 31-23 with 2:53 to go, then stopped Washington and tied it, 31-31, with 1:05 left on an 18-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Drew Brees to running back Alvin Kamara and a two-point conversion pitch to Kamara, who sprinted in for the deadlock.

After losing the toss for OT, the Saints forced a punt and drove 51 yards in three plays for the winning field goal.

The Redskins led 17-13 at the half and took a commanding 24-13 lead late in the third quarter with a 94-yard, touchdown drive in 12 plays and added to it with two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter for the 31-16 lead with 5:58 to go.

New Orleans scored with 2:53 to play in the game on a 3-yard pass from Brees to tight end Josh Hill to cut the Redskins' lead to 31-23, then forced a punt and marched 87 yards in four plays to tie it at 31-31.

The Saints (8-2) seemingly had the critical, 94-yard drive stopped as Washington (4-6) faced a third-and-seven from the New Orleans 40 with 1:44 to go in the period. An all-out blitz nearly sacked quarterback Kirk Cousins, but he let it fly to wide receiver Ryan Grant, who was so open near the Saints' goal line he looked like he was deep for a punt. Grant made the catch with no one within 20 yards of him and danced into the end zone for the first two-score lead of the game with 1:37 to go in the third quarter.

The Saints had apparently stopped the 94-yard possession previously before it could get cracking deep in Washington territory when running back Chris Thompson was stopped for a 2-yard gain by defensive tackle Sheldon Rankings to bring up fourth-and-one. Thompson hurt his knee on the play and left the game for good.

On fourth-and-one, though, from the 15, Washington faked the punt with a short snap to up back Niles Paul, a tight end who charged five yards for the first down to keep the drive alive.

The Saints drew within 24-16 with 9:19 to play in the game on a 42-yard field goal by Lutz. But the Redskins followed with a 75-yard drive in six plays to take a 31-16 lead at 5:58 on a 7-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jeremy Sprinkle, who was nearly as open as Grant, but wasn't only because he was in the end zone already.

Brees executed the two-minute offense skillfully just before the end of the half as he took the Saints 69 yards in 10 plays for a 29-yard field goal by Lutz as time expired to get New Orleans within, 17-13, at the break.

The Saints, who have won eight straight after an 0-2 start, bounced back from the early interception for a 3-3 tie as Lutz nailed a 52-yard field goal with 5:30 to play in the opening quarter following a 48-yard drive in 11 plays.

Washington took a 10-3 lead on its next drive as Cousins hit running back Chris Thompson for a 16-yard touchdown pass with 2:11 to go in the first quarter. Cousins hit wide receiver Josh Doctson for 14 yards to the Redskins' 43-yard line to get the drive going.

New Orleans came right back to tie it at 10-10 as Brees found wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. for 23 yards to the Redskins' 36. Running back Mark Ingram scored on a 36-yard touchdown run from there on a simple carry over right guard with 35 seconds to go in the first quarter.

Washington, having no problem with the Saints highly ranked defense, took the lead again at 17-10 with a 75-yard drive in nine plays. Running back Samaje Perine scored on a 1-yard run with 10:44 to go before halftime.

The Saints play at Los Angeles next Sunday.