With Valentine’s Day upon us, TopTenRealEstateDeals.com has found some of the most romance-inspiring homes on the planet that are currently for sale. This year’s homes span the country from a romantic New York penthouse, to Katharine Hepburn’s long-time estate on the New England coast, to an 1852 Mississippi historic inn with Civil War ties, to the Tammy Wynette and George Jones Florida love nest. This year, the Top Ten Most Romantic Homes feature also includes a historic estate in the South of France where Picasso, Churchill and Princess Grace were frequent guests.
1. Address: Belvedere Island, Ca. Price: $45,000,000. Thoughts turn to romance while enjoying your after-dinner brandy and coffee on the terrace, looking across the water to the lights of the Golden Gate Bridge while listening to the fog horns announcing an incoming wall of haze. Just thinking of that scenario will always create the warm, yet exciting, stirrings of romance. Even more romantic, you can hear the wavelets lapping at the seawall below while passionate flamenco from Carlos Montoya’s guitar drifts over you. Is that enough stage setting, or do you want to move it to the deep soaking tub where the candles are lit overlooking the same romantic view? We won’t go on . . but you can.
2. Address: Broad Key, Key Largo, Fl. Price: $20,000,000. Broad Key sits off of the well-known Ocean Reef Club Resort in upper Key Largo. Accessed by either boat or helicopter, the island is the perfect romantic getaway for those who want total privacy without the isolation that usually comes with romantic island life. Being the highest island in the Keys at 21 feet above sea level, the house sits at the highest point overlooking the blue-green waters of the tropical Atlantic. From your boathouse or dock, go for a day or weekend sail to Key West; even power out for a day of scuba or free-diving to explore the reef. In the evening, motor over to Ocean Reef where almost everything you want is at your fingertips.
3. Address: 2200 Oak St., VIcksburg, Ms. Price: $2,900,000. There are many historical love stories emanating from the South, but we’re particularly enchanted by that of John Alexander Klein and Elizabeth Bartley Day. Though today our social mores would likely frown upon the match, the Victorians saw love differently. John spied this beautiful child, Elizabeth, when she was only 14 and he, a grown man of 28 was instantly enchanted by her beauty. Not being able to get her out of his mind, he waited for her to mature while he applied himself to building his diverse fortune and starting construction on the exquisite mansion we now call Cedar Grove. In 1842, by the time she was 16 and he 30, they married and spent a year-long honeymoon taking the grand European tour. There they collected many furnishings for their new home, many of which still adorn the mansion today. Ten years after the start of the construction, in 1852 the home was finally completed.
4. Address: Roquebrune Cap Martin, PR 06190 France. Price: $50,732,000. If she’s only expecting Chanel No. 5 for Valentine’s Day this year, why not give her the thrill of her life by honoring her with Coco Chanel’s romantic estate, Villa La Pausa, in the South of France! Overlooking the Mediterranean and located in Cap Martin, Mademoiselle Chanel lovingly supervised the building of this majestic estate that would later play host to many an illustrious guest.
5. Address: Montecito. Ca. Price: $5,400,000. From the barrel-tiled roof, to the vined walls to the handmade terracotta floor tiles, you’ll think you’ve been transported to another continent where life is gentle and the only sound you may hear is a duck splashing happily among the reeds in the pond. An obvious Francophile, the owner-designer of this enchanting French farmhouse replica managed to think of all the best characteristics France has to offer in French country style.
6. Address: Fenwick, Old Saybrook, Ct. Price: $28,000,000. From the barrel-tiled roof, to the vined walls to the handmade terracotta floor tiles, you’ll think you’ve been transported to another continent where life is gentle and the only sound you may hear is a duck splashing happily among the reeds in the pond. An obvious Francophile, the owner-designer of this enchanting French farmhouse replica managed to think of all the best characteristics France has to offer in French country style.
7. Address: Aspen, Co. Price: $48,500,000. Built on a babbling creek to resemble a mountain village, Jigsaw Ranch is the answer for those with romantic inclinations that come alive in front of a roaring fire on a snowy night. However, if one grows bored with cuddling within the glamour of the main house, take a stroll to the log cabin for a more rustic, earthy experience. Guests will have another residence or the gatehouse from which to choose, allowing as much time as desired for skiing, other social activities and conversation with guaranteed distance when the two of you are ready for your private time together.
8. Address: Morningside Mountain, Sonoma, Ca. 95476. Price: $3,995,000. Jack London already knew the romantic mystery of the Sonoma Valley when he penned Valley of the Moon as long ago as 1913. So maybe it’s not surprising that Maison de Pierre holds the key to one of the most inspiring modern-day love stories we may ever hope to hear and definitely will not soon forget. Having met and fallen deeply in love with an Italian woman who lives in Italy, the owner has decided to move back to the east coast to cut down on the travel distance between them. For him to give up this dream home for love, it must be one of the most intriguing romances today
9. Address: Lakeland, Fl. Price: $2,300,000. For as long as she could remember, Tammy Wynette had dreamed of one day living in a southern mansion very much like Tara in Gone with the Wind. After years of hard work and finally claiming success as one of the most notable female country singers of all time, Tammy married George Jones in 1969. Shortly thereafter, she and George moved into this lovely columned plantation home, bringing her dreams to reality. In 1971 in an interview with the Tampa Tribune, she said, “This is the home for us . . It’s the only place we want to be.”
10. Address: New York, Ny. Price: $28,000,000. Covering five floors of perfectly appointed contemporary rooms with huge walls of windows and three levels of terraces, this masterpiece home would motivate romance in the most jaded of New Yorkers! High above it all, after the gallery benefit you held is finally over, it’s time to fix a nightcap and wander out to the terrace to watch the city lights while you congratulate yourselves on the success of the evening. Your guests were wooed by the ambiance of your dramatic home but the best is still your private secret.