B.R. police cancel Nike sale after crowd gets rowdy, N.O. man arrested




Posted on February 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Updated Saturday, Oct 26 at 4:46 AM

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - A couple of hundred shoe enthusiasts were eventually able to get their hands on what some are calling the most anticipated shoe of the year, but problems during a second attempt for the sale resulted in one arrest.

A large crowd of people gathered outside the mall for the release of the new Nike "Galaxy" Foamposite One at Foot Locker. The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office reported the store had hired four extra deputies to work the sale, but they were scheduled to get there at 6 a.m. and the sale was supposed to start at 7 a.m.

However, customers hoping to snag a pair of the new shoe started lining up around 3 a.m. Available units from the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office and Baton Rouge Police Department were called out to the Mall of Louisiana after a crowd of about 600 started pushing on the doors and getting rowdy around 5 a.m.

Dozens of units responded to the call for assistance and sent everyone home around 5:30 a.m., ending the sale at that time.

Authorities said customers were allowed back on the property around 7 a.m. for the sale. Those looking to buy a pair of shoes were given specific instructions to follow, which most did. However, deputies reported one man caused a problem.

The EBRSO said Keenen Poret, 21, of New Orleans, was removed and eventually arrested after cutting the line and aggravating the rest of the people waiting to get into the mall.

He was charged with inciting a riot and disturbing the peace.

The crowd of about 200 still in line was then allowed in 10 at a time to buy shoes until everyone had a chance to shop. The sale ended around 8 a.m.

The shoe sells for about $220.

Louisiana isn't the only place seeing the craziness.

Police in Orlando wore riot gear at a mall when they had to break up an angry crowd hoping to buy Nike's Galaxy sneaker.

People in Orlando got upset when the store decided to cancel a midnight sale .

Officers, some on horseback, had to come and clear out hundreds of people.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.