Chef Joey Wells, Executive Chef at the Bourbon Orleans joins the Eyewitness Morning News in the kitchen to talk about their Thanksgiving Day buffet in the Historic Orleans Ballroom, and to make a very special oyster dressing.
Make reservations now for the New Orleans Hotel Collection's Bourbon Orleans Hotel's Thanksgiving Day Buffet.
It's coming up Thanksgiving day, November 28th, with seatings from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. in the Historic Orleans Ballroom. Tickets are only $59 for adults, $29 for children and children under the age of 5 are free with parents. For more information or to make reservations, call Judy Leblanc at (504) 571-4672 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. weekdays.
New Orleans Oyster Dressing Recipe
- 2 dozen shucked oysters, with their liquor
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups cubed white bread
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Drain the oysters, reserving 1 cup of the liquor. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, and cayenne. SautÈ for about 5 minutes, or until wilted. Add the bay leaves, garlic, and parsley. SautÈ for about 1 minute. Add the water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the green onions, the oyster liquor, and the bread. Stir. Remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread mixture with the oysters and the cheese. Mix thoroughly. Butter a 9 X 11-inch baking pan and pour in the mixture. Bake for about 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings (about 5 cups)