NEW ORLEANS - In the wake of a hurricane, homeowners know they must assess the damage to their property and make a claim with their insurance company.
But they may not know all the steps they should take to make sure they get all the coverage they are entitled to.
To help these property owners, the Louisiana Department of Insurance offers step-by-step guidance and other information resources.
Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon was in the studio to give us more information.
There are a few necessary steps to file a property insurance claim
- First, call your insurance agent or hotline as soon as possible.
- Have your policy number and relevant information at hand.
- If property is uninhabitable, ask about additional living expenses.
- Plus, ask about temporary repairs to prevent further damage to property.
- And always, check your policy for a hurricane deductible.
If you have other hurricane-related questions, need help resolving a dispute with a company or agent or want to report suspected insurance fraud, you can contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance by calling 1-800-259-5300 or e-mailing Isaac@ldi.la.gov. You can also go to their website at http://www.ldi.la.gov/.