The month of November is a huge reminder that the holidays are knocking at the door, and as we begin to put together the menu for family gatherings, the American Heart Association has some heart healthy suggestions.
The Eyewitness Morning News is kicking off a week of heart healthy recipe demonstrations, starting with soup prepared by Chef Chip Flanagan of Ralph's on the Park.
Also joining the Eyewitness Morning News with some tips for keeping a heart healthy diet is Kim Hemenway, a dietitian with the American Heart Association.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup (nutritional information):
- 1 cup serving: 95 calories
- 12.5 grams of carbohydrates
- 2/10 gram of fat
- 2 grams of protein
- 132 miligrams of sodium
Roasted Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup (recipe):
- 2 butternut squash
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 6 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
Roasted Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup (garnish):
- Half a cup of greek yogurt, fat free
- Half a satsuma, juice only (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom vinegar
- 1 tablespoon splenda
Ralph's on the Park is open for lunch Tuesday through Friday and dinner 7 nights a week, at 900 City Park Avenue.