This Friday is “Black Friday,” the official start of the holiday shopping season, but this year it seems businesses are getting an early start, so it's time to talk about shopping safety with Darlene Cusanza of Crimestoppers.
Holiday shopping safety tips:
- have a plan and a shopping buddy
- carry money/credit cards secure & close to your body to avoid pick pockets
- shop during daytime hours or in well lit areas
- don't purchase more than you can safely carry
- monitor your belongings
- park in well lit and traveled areas
- Secure purchases in the trunk
- monitor who is around you when signing credit or ATM to avoid skimmers & thieves
- when shopping online - shop only on reputable merchant's secure sites
And, as always, if you are a witness to or have information on a crime that could lead to the arrest or indictment of a suspect, you're asked to please call Crimestoppers, you don't have to give your identity and you could be eligible for a cash reward. All you have to do is call the Crimestoppers tip line at (504) 822-1111.