Tomatoes are one of those versatile foods that can be prepared hundreds of different ways, which is what you'll find at the French Market's 28th Creole Tomato Festival this weekend.
Chef Daniel Esses from Three Muses is showing how he does his tomatoes raw, while Executive Director of the French Market Corporation, Jon Smith, talks about a new kick-off event ahead of the festival this year.
The 28th annual Creole Tomato Festival is taking place Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. both days. The entire festival will be held at the French Market along North Peters Street. And before the festival, the French Market is hosting its Summer Harvest Gala on Wednesday. The funds raised will go towards a new year-round farmers market at the French Market, to be launched in October. Tickets cost $100.
Fresh Basil Pesto (Makes 1 pint)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T roasted pine nuts or your favorite nut
- 2T grated Parmesan
- 1/2 c olive or vegetable oil
- 4 oz fresh basil
- 2 oz flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In blender place garlic , nuts, cheese and half of the oil , blend till smooth.
- Add the herbs and the rest of the oil.
- Blend till smooth. store in refrigerator for one week.