He's an award winning chef, owner of 5 great restaurants across the country, and a former personal day-to-day chef for celebrities, including Oprah Winfrey, and now Chef Art Smith joins the Eyewitness Morning News with his new cookbook, "Healthy Comfort," and a new physique.
There are many great recipes like Chef Art Smith's Three-Bean Turkey Chili, in his new book, "Art Smith's Healthy Comfort," as well as delicious, diabetes-friendly recipes for the whole family on his website, click here.
Three-Bean Turkey Chili
A note from Chef Art Smith: "I had to include this wonderful recipe because it’s so darn good. Who doesn’t love chili? I know it’s not exactly a soup, but it’s cooked in a big pot and holds its own as a full meal, so I decided it could be slipped in here. And once you make it, you’ll be glad I did!
If it’s been a while since you made chili, replace the chili powder that has been languishing in your cupboard. Fresh chili powder has more “umph,” and the stew will be far tastier.
Three-Bean Turkey Chili Recipe (Serves 8):
For the chili:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 18-ounce jars or cans stewed, chopped tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
For the garnish:
- 8 tablespoons chopped cilantro or chives
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, chili powder, paprika, and cumin. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the turkey is cooked. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes or until all the flavors have married. Season with salt.
- Assembly Divide the chili among 8 serving bowls and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro or chives.
Per Serving - 389 calories * 12 g fat * 3 g sat fat * 65 mg chol * 736 mg sodium * 40 g carb * 8 g sugar * 12 g fiber * 34 g protein * 106 mg calcium