In Frank’s Kitchen is Chef Kevin Belton, who is talking Carnival cooking, but not for the parade route, more like “stick to your ribs” food for getting ready before the parade or for refueling afterwards, like stuffed pork chops.
Besides being a regular on the Eyewitness Morning News, Chef Kevin Belton conducts cooking classes at the New Orleans School of Cooking, 524 St. Louis St. in the French Quarter. For information on those classes, call (504) 620-9456, or click here.
Kevin’s Creamy Bayou Spinach
- 2 pounds of chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1-teaspoon fresh garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Big Kevin’s ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-tablespoon flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Herbsaint
- Bring water to a boil, add spinach and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain and cool.
- Once cooled, squeeze excess water from spinach. In a large saucepot, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic for one minute.
- Add seasoning and continue to sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add spinach and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Herbsaint and simmer until cream reduces.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Kevin’s Stuffed Pork Chops
- 6 center-cup pork chops, 1-½ inches thick
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 1-teaspoon sage
- 1-½ tablespoons Big Kevin’s
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup day-old French Break, crumbled
- 1 8oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season pork chops inside and out with Big Kevin’s.
- Combine dry ingredients, spices, eggs and vegetables.
- Moisten with chicken broth until soupy consistency is reached.
- Make a slit in chops to form pockets.
- Stuff and secure with toothpicks.
- Roll in flour and set aside.
- In large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and brown pork chops.
- Remove from heat and bake in large covered roasting pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes- 1 hour or until done/ Remove cover during last ½ hour of cooking.
- Use drippings in roasting pan to make a gravy!!