New Orleans' Chefs are among the most talented and most generous people in town, and for 37 years they've proved that, through the Chefs' Charity for Children, which helps the children of Saint Michael's Special School.
It's coming up in January, and joining the Eyewitness Morning News in the kitchen is one of the chefs who's been with the event almost since the beginning, Tommy Wong of Trey Yuen, along with Susan Munster, the Principal at Saint Michael's, and Eileen Schulin, President of the Ladies Guild that helps organize the event.
Tickets are on sale now for the Chefs' Charity on Tuesday, January 14 at the Hilton. It is always a sellout, so you'll want to order soon, and for $65, you get to watch all the chefs' cooking demos, eat a spectacular lunch and take home a cookbook with all the recipes.
You can call Saint Michael's at 524-7285 or go to their web site, by clicking here.
Chef Tommy Wong of Trey Tuen - Pot Stciker Recipe
- 2 cups ground turkey (or 1 cup ground turkey and 1 small cup bay shrimp)
- 2 cups finely chopped bok choy (blanch whole stock, whicte & green parts, finely chop, then squeeze out excess water in cheese cloth)
- 1 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. minced white part of green onion (save green part)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seed oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 package of pot sticker wrappers or Gyoea skins
- 1 whipped egg white
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce and
- 1/2 cup vinegar (mixed together)
- crushed chili pepper with oil to taste
- garnish with chopped green onions (saved from filling)
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl, cover and place in refrigerator for 1 hour
- To stuff pot stickers, place one teaspoon of stuffing mix in center of wrapper, brush egg white around outer edge, fold in half and tuck
- Place desired number of pot stickers on plate and steam for 8-10 minutes
- When done place flat side in a teflon-coated skillet with a little poly-unsaturated oil (NOT olive oil)
- Cook over medium-high heat until crispy golden brown
- Remove and serve with soy-vinegar sauce for dipping