Yield: 1 9-inch pie crust
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar, optional
8 tablespoons butter, semi- frozen
5 tablespoons cold water, ice cold
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar (if using) in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand grater, grate the semi frozen butter into the flour mixture using the largest openings. Toss the entire mixture to coat the butter in flour.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fairly large coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle the ice cold water over the surface of the flour mixture and toss with a fork or spatula mixing until the dough just comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape into a 6-inch disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Allow the dough to stand at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling out for the pie. This step is necessary to minimize dough shrinkage during baking
- Flour the work surface and the rolling pin before rolling the dough out. Starting from the center roll the dough out to the edges, rolling in all directions. Lift and turn the dough several times to ensure that the dough is not sticking and the dough uniform in thickness