1. Using a 3 to 3 1/4 pound roasting chicken, remove the wings at the second joint and reserve. Lift up the skin of the neck to expose the flesh and, using the point of a small knife, follow the contour of the wishbone to get it loose.
2. Pull the wishbone out.
3. Place the chicken on its breast, and cut down the backbone to expose the meat.
4. Following the carcass with your knife, begin cutting the meat from the bone. Cut the joint at the shoulder. Cut on top and around the breastbone and on the other side. This is not really complicated; you simply separate the meat from the bone as you go. Do not worry about the leg, shoulder, and wing bones.
5. Remove the carcass in one piece.
6. Cut around the bone of the thigh to free it of meat. Holding the tip in one hand, scrape with your knife, "pushing" the meat from the bone. Separate the thigh bone at the joint between the thigh and drumstick. The drumstick bone is left in.
7. With a large knife, cut the tip of the drumstick and...
8. "Push" the flesh back to expose the bone.
9. Cut the tip off the wing bones.
10. You will notice that there are 2 fillets loose on the breast. Pull them off and position them lower than the breast, where there is no meat on the skin. Most of the surface should be lined with meat.