Fairgrounds compromise in works with Churchill Downs

Fairgrounds compromise in works with Churchill Downs

Fairgrounds compromise in works with Churchill Downs

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on May 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Updated Monday, May 12 at 6:17 PM

Doug Mouton / Eyewitness Sports
Email: dmouton@wwltv.com | Twitter: @dmoutonwwl

NEW ORLEANS -- There's no deal yet, but a compromise is in the works between Churchill Downs and state leaders.

Jefferson Parish state Rep. Pat Connick, R-Harvey, said Churchill Downs has now agreed to make significant upgrades to the racing.

Connick said Churchill Downs made $32 million on its New Orleans operation last year and re-invested nothing into the race track, so he wrote a bill that forced Churchill Downs to re-invest.

The house approved the bill. It’s up in a Senate committee Tuesday.

Monday afternoon, Connick and company got word from Churchill Downs with a promise of more than $1 million to upgrade the turf track, fix video boards and spend more on marketing.

The promises from Churchill Downs are their most significant so far, but Connick said a few minutes ago he's not sure if the proposal answers all the questions legislators have, and there's no recurring money for continual improvements.

Still, if a compromise can be met Monday evening, he said he'd pull his bill before the committee meets Tuesday.

 

Print
Email
|