NEW ORLEANS -- The Orleans Parish Coroner says he received no new evidence to use to reclassify the death of Henry Glover as a homicide and it will stay undetermined.
The remains of Glover's body were found in a burned out car behind an Algiers levee after Hurricane Katrina. Several NOPD officers were initially convicted in the shooting death of Glover and cover-up of his death before the rulings were overturned.
In a fax dated from March 31, then-Cornor Frank Minyard said state Attorney General Buddy Caldwell would not issue a legal opinion about whether testimony could be used to reclassify Glover death.
Relatives of Glover said they were surprised by the news that the coroner will keep Glover's death unclassified, but they are still hoping new Coroner Jeffery Rouse will re-open the case when his term begins in May.
Of the five officers originally charged in Glover's death, only one - Gregory McCrae - stands convicted for allegedly burning the body to cover up the shooting.
A jury acquitted former Officer David Warren in the shooting. Warren maintained he shot Henry Glover at the now infamous strip mall because he believed Glover was armed and threatened his safety.
McRae, Warren and a third former officer, Travis McCabe, were convicted in December 2010.
McCabe had been convicted in 2010 of violating Glover’s civil rights by writing a false police report of the fatal shooting and incinerating Glover’s body, but the conviction was reversed on appeal. He eventually was reinstated to the New Orleans Police Department
Two former NOPD lieutenants -- Robert Italiano and Dwayne Scheuermann -- were charged in the case. Both men were acquitted