EMPIRE, La. — An AK-47-wielding man was one of eight people arrested by Plaquemines Parish sheriff’s officers after a brawl erupted at the Ugly Duck Bar in Empire, La., this past weekend.
Four were sent to the hospital and three suspects remain at large, said Cmdr. Eric Becnel, the sheriff’s office public information officer.
The melee began just before 2 a.m. Saturday when a fight broke out of a couple dancing, Becnel said. Those involved grabbed and used beer bottles, pool sticks and barstools as weapons, according to the news release.
Eventually, 27-year-old Demorius Perry of Port Sulphur, La., left the bar, heading to his vehicle to grab an AK-47. Upon re-entering with the assault rifle, fighting stopped.
Four people were taken to a local hospital with facial fractures and cuts needing stitches, stab wounds and unconsciousness, Becnel said.
Though fighting had stopped by the time officers arrived, video surveillance confirmed identities of those involved.
Perry, meanwhile, fled the bar before officers arrived. He was later arrested and the gun was recovered, leading to a charge of possession of a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic outlet.
The others arrested -
- Christopher Rene Avist, 42, of Empire was charged with aggravated second-degree battery and two counts of aggravated battery;
- Benjamin Nicholas Bristol, 30, of Buras was charged with second-degree battery, aggravated Battery and simple battery;
- Sidney Demone Emory, 21, of Port Sulphur as charged with three counts of aggravated battery and one count of simple battery;
- Robert Earl Holmes, 19, of Port Sulphur was charged with aggravated battery;
- Travis Latrell Riley, 20, of Buras was charged with second-degree battery;
- Darvin Terrell Riley, 18, of Buras was charged with aggravated battery;
- Pierre Cortez Stamps, 27, of Port Sulphur was charged with aggravated battery.
James Bell, 29; Tracy Aaron Taylor, 25; and Albert Vereen, Jr., 32, all remain out of custody and are wanted in connection with the brawl.