NEW ORLEANS -- Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze in Central City Thursday morning, according to the New Orleans Fire Department.
The fire broke out at a building in the 2500 block of Freret Street around 9:30 a.m. When crews arrived a single-story shotgun with two units was on fire, according to the NOFD.
Neighbors warned the resident inside one unit of the double shotgun that her home was on fire and to get out of house.
The fire was put out around 11 a.m.
"It was determined that the fire began in a bedroom located near the center of the home at 2502 Freret St. A resident of the dwelling, who was not at home at the time of the incident, speculated that she may have left her space heater on when she left for work this morning," said a statement from the NOFD.
Fire investigators later determined that "unattended electric space heater was the cause of the fire," adding, "There was a noticeable hole in the floor of the bedroom where the heater had burned through."
No injuries were reported and the Red Cross is assisting those displaced from the fire.