Jindal meets for first time with Assumption sinkhole victims

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on March 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Updated Tuesday, Mar 19 at 5:42 PM

Katie Moore / Eyewitness News
Email: kmoore@wwltv.com | Twitter: @katiecmoore

BAYOU CORNE, La. - Governor Bobby Jindal met for the first time Tuesday with families displaced by a massive sinkhole in Assumption Parish.

Scientists say the sinkhole in Bayou Corne formed after the collapse of an underground salt cavern.

Some of the residents seemed reassured after meeting with the governor, while others were visibly frustrated. Most are just hoping that buyout offers from Texas Brine will be fair.

They’re all trying to protect a picturesque bayou.

“It’s time for this to come to an end and let people go on with their lives,” said Alvin Gros, a Bayou Corne resident. “It’s time. They’ve destroyed enough people’s lives.”

Gov. Jindal met with his cabinet members and then with some residents behind closed doors, before holding a press conference.

“I know they had to suspend some of the skimming operations due to seismic testing. I do think it’s important that as soon as they can, they go out and start skimming some of that material again,” said Jindal. “You can see a sheen on top of the sinkhole.”

The governor announced more plans for Texas Brine to buy out residents who want to move on. So far 56 have signed up to meet with the company.

“The governor is going to stay with us,” said Sheriff Mike Waguespack. “He’s a little late getting here and I promise if he does that again we’re going to make him swim that sinkhole.”

The sinkhole continues to grow and has grown three acres since last week. It is an estimated 12 acres in size. About 350 people remain evacuated from the area.

Print
Email
|