Posted on June 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Monday, Jun 30 at 1:00 PM
Greg Hilburn / The News Star
Fifth District U.S. Rep. Vance McAllister will seek re-election, the Republican said in an exclusive interview with The News-Star at the congressman’s home in Swartz this morning.
McAllister will make his official announcement during an 11 a.m. press conference at the American Legion Hall in Forsythe Park.
The freshman congressman had previously said he wouldn’t seek re-election following a scandal in which a video was published showing the married McAllister kissing a former married staffer, but he soon recanted.
“I wanted to make sure everything was good with our family,” said McAllister, who was surrounded by his family in Swartz this morning. “Our family is stronger than ever, so I think the people should decide whether or not I continue to represent them.”
His wife Kelly said she supports her husband’s decision.
“I’m behind him 100 percent,” she said. “We made this decision as a family.”
McAllister said he won’t address the scandal again during the campaign.
“I’ve publicly apologized to the people in the 5th District and more importantly worked through it with my family,” he said. “I’ve said all I’m going to say about it. Now it’s up to the voters.”
McAllister, 40, said he will begin raising money for the campaign now and said he will invest his own money in the campaign if needed. He hasn’t raised any significant money since the video was released.
“I’m going to do whatever it takes,” he said.
When the scandal broke earlier this year, there were calls for his resignation from the top Republicans in Louisiana, including state party Chairman Roger Villere and Gov. Bobby Jindal.
McAllister dismissed their calls then and said he will do so again.
“The last time I checked they don’t live in the district,” he said. “I don’t think the voters of the 5th District need someone else to tell them who to support.”