Hunt on for Mother's Day shooters

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on May 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Updated Monday, May 13 at 1:14 PM

WWLTV.com
Email: webteam@wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV

NEW ORLEANS - Three of the victims hit in the brazen Mother's Day second-line shooting spree remained in critical condition Monday as authorities continued their search for the assailants, releasing a surveillance video that might show one of the suspects firing into the crowd.

The New Orleans Police Department released the surveillance video Monday morning, showing hundreds celebrating when the shots rang out just before 2 p.m. at the corner of Frenchmen and North Villere streets in the Seventh Ward.

Most of the victims had non life threatening wounds, authorities said. Three victims were taken to Tulane Hospital while eleven were brought to University Hospital.

One of the victims at Tulane hospital was released Sunday night, another was to be released Monday afternoon and another remained under care in stable condition

Of those at University, three were still in critical condition as of noon Monday. Seven others already had been discharged and one remained in the hospital in an unknown condition.

The condition of five other victims was unknown.

Dr. Norman McSwain, trauma director at Tulane Hospital, said physicians saw a myriad of different internal injuries, including wounds to kidneys, livers, small intestines and lungs.

"Their injuries are severe and they're going to have to be operated on several times over the next couple of weeks just because of the way we do things here that we didn't used to do," McSwain said.

Initial reports said that a dozen people had been injured, but the number eventually grew to 19. Ten men, seven women, a 10-year-old boy and a 10-year-old girl were injured.

Donatus King, local president of the NAACP, said anyone hesitant in going to the police can contact the local office of the NAACP, leaving the information anonymously if need be.

“We see that this is happening and we need to just make sure that these people that are doing this are taken off the street,” King said. “Now, you know, we have second lines that occur almost on a weekly basis. We have major events that occur in the community almost on a weekly basis. And we don’t see things like this.

“It’s not a community culture. It’s not everybody that’s involved in. But those that are involved in it we need to get them off the streets now. There’s no hiding if it’s your niece, your nephew, your son, your daughter, your brother.”

They plan on organizing a meeting for second line organizations to discuss ideas on how to increase safety at events.

"The original Big Seven" put on the second line. They responded to the violence on Facebook and said that in the 17 years the group has been organizing parades, this is the first shooting to take place.

NOPD is searching for three suspects spotted running away from the scene.

One of the suspects is described as a black man between 18 and 22-years-old. He was wearing a white t-shirt with blue jean shorts.

Crimestoppers said anyone with information on this case could be eligible for a $10,000 reward. Those with information should call 822-1111.

Print
Email
|