NEW ORLEANS -- The Recovery School District is making some changes next school year, including closing some schools and merging others.
Some of the big decisions made by the RSD are the merger of L.B. Landry and O.P. Walker high schools and the closing of Abramson Elementary.
Officials held the first in a series of meetings Thursday night at Mary D. Coghill School, where a new group will be in charge of managing the school next year.
RSD officials say they have to make the changes to ensure that every child gets a good education.
The following is the list of schools that will see changes in the upcoming school year:
· Crocker Arts & Technology will now be managed by New Orleans College Prep.
· Pride College Prep will now be managed by Arise Charter.
· Intercultural Charter School there will be a high-quality open-enrollment elementary school at the Intercultural campus next year and all current Intercultural students will have guaranteed seats at this school.
· Benjamin Mays Preparatory will close; all current students will have priority in the enrollment process to all participating elementary schools.
· Mary D. Coghill Elementary School will now be managed by the Better Choice Foundation
· Murray Henderson will close; all students will be guaranteed a seat at Habans Elementary which will be managed by Crescent City Schools.
· L.B. Landry and O.P. Walker High Schools will be unified under the management of Algiers Charter School Association and students will attend school in the brand new L.B. Landry building.
·Abramson Elementary will close; all students will be guaranteed a seat at Schaumburg Elementary, which will be managed by ReNEW.
· Paul B. Habans Elementary will now be managed by Crescent City Schools Charter Management Organization. All current students will be guaranteed a seat at Habans Elementary under the new management.
· James W. Johnson Elementary will close; all students will be guaranteed a seat at Banneker Elementary.
The list of parent meetings is below:
· Mary D. Coghill - Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 5:30pm
· Crocker Arts and Technology – Monday, January 7, 2013 at 6:00pm
· Abramson and H.C. Schaumburg Elementary Schools – Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 5:30pm
· James W. Johnson and Murray Henderson Elementary Schools – Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 5:30pm
· Pride College Prep, Benjamin Mays Preparatory and Paul B. Habans Elementary Schools – Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 5:30pm
· Intercultural Charter School – Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 5:30pm