CHALMETTE, La. - St. Bernard Parish President David Peralta says that sexual assault accusations made against him have been dropped at the request of the alleged victim.
Monday, it was announced that Peralta was being investigated by Louisiana State Police after an allegation of sexual assault was made. State Police said the investigation continues.
Peralta called the accusations "baseless" and said the issue was a "domestic matter."
Tuesday, he said the accusations had been dropped and he apologized that "that this matter has escalated beyond a private matter.”
The initial complaint was forwarded to State Police by the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office on Sunday.
The sheriff's office had asked the State Police to take over the investigation.
Late Tuesday afternoon, a public relations firm hired by Peralta, issued the statement on his behalf saying the accuser wanted the investigation ended.
The statement identified the accuser, but Eyewitness News has chosen not to do so to protect her identity as the case continues.
"Today [the alleged victim] informed Louisiana State Police in video statement that she has decided to drop all charges stemming from a domestic disagreement. It is regrettable that law enforcement officials were summoned into this personal dispute. [We] are sorry that this matter has escalated beyond a private matter." -Dave Peralta
After the investigation is completed, any findings will be turned over to the St. Bernard Parish District Attorney's Office.