BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- The 42-year-old Baton Rouge man accused of calling in a bomb threat to LSU last month has pleaded innocent to a state charge.
William Bouvay Jr. entered his plea Thursday before state District Judge Lou Daniel.
Earlier this week, Bouvay pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to a federal charge stemming from the Sept. 17 incident.
The state charge carries a maximum prison term of 20 years, but if Bouvay is convicted of the charge, East Baton Rouge Parish Assistant District Attorney Jesse Bankston said, he will seek to have Bouvay sentenced as a habitual offender because he has two prior felony convictions.
Under the habitual offender guidelines, The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/WZUyL4) Bouvay would face a sentence of 13 to 40 years.
Daniel appointed the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Defender's Office to represent Bouvay on the state charge.
The federal public defender's office is representing him on a federal charge of willfully conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives. He faces up to 10 years in prison on that charge.
Bankston said Bouvay is being prosecuted in state and federal court because he allegedly violated state and federal laws.
"We have an interest because it's a crime that affected a state college," he said.
Bouvay is scheduled to appear again in state and federal court in December.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Bouvay called 911 at 10:32 a.m. Sept. 17 and told a 911 dispatcher, "Yes, I planted three bombs at LSU's campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my ."
The caller did not finish that sentence.
"This is not a joke. I'm gonna go there and ." the caller said before the call was disconnected.
Authorities shut down LSU's campus for more than 12 hours following the threat. No bombs were found.
Bouway is being held without bond in federal custody at the West Baton Rouge Parish Prison.