Comedian Louis C.K. says allegations of sexual misconduct are true, expresses remorse

Comedian Louis C.K. says allegations of sexual misconduct are true, expresses remorse

NEW YORK - Comedian Louis C.K. says allegations of sexual misconduct are true, expresses remorse.

"These stories are true," he said in a statement Tweeted out by CNN and the New York Times, who first published the report of 5 women alleging that the comedian performed sex acts on himself in front of them.

C.K. said he thought that what he did was okay, because he asked the women if he could do what he did before he did it. He later said that the fact that they admired him and that he was held in high regard by their circle of friends gave him a power over them that he abused.

"The power I had over these women is that they admired me. I wielded that power irresponsibly."

Louis C.K.'s new movie I Love You, Daddy will not be opening in theaters following Thursday's New York Times story in which five women accused the comedian of sexual misconduct.

In a statement Friday, I Love You, Daddydistributor Orchard Films announced that the film company would be scrapping C.K.'s new movie, which was slated to open in limited release on Nov. 17.

"The Orchard will not be moving forward with the release of I Love You, Daddy," the statement reads. The shelving follows the cancellation of the movie's New York premiere, originally scheduled for Tuesday.

Additionally, Netflix announced on Friday that the streaming service will not be moving forward with its second planned C.K. standup special, the follow-up to the comedian's 2017 released in April.

"The allegations made by several women in the New York Times about Louis C.K.'s behavior are disturbing," Netflix told USA TODAY in s statement provided by spokesperson Karen Barragan. "Louis' unprofessional and inappropriate behavior with female colleagues has led us to decide not to produce a second stand up special, as had been planned."

The swift professional fallout came after the Times story identified four women by name, and a fifth anonymously, who shared similar stories of C.K. crossing the line into sexual misconduct in encounters with them dating back more than a decade.

"He proceeded to take all of his clothes off, and get completely naked, and started masturbating," comedian Dana Min Goodman described, recounting how C.K. invited her and her comedic partner Julia Wolov to his hotel room following their performance at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colo., in 2002.

The film and comedy special weren't the only projects affected by the revelations.

HBO announced Thursday that it will remove all of C.K's past work from its on-demand viewing services and that the comedian will no longer be participating in Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs, which will air live Nov. 18 on the cable network.

C.K's appearance on CBS' The Late Show With Stephen Colbert on Friday also was canceled, with William H. Macy scheduled to take his place.

FX Networks, which aired his Emmy-winning comedy Louie, and two current projects he produces (Baskets and Better Things) is taking a more measured approach to the allegations. The cable channel, which said it had received no reports on him during the previous eight years, issued a statement Thursday saying that the "matter is currently under review."

© 2017 WWL-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment