Telly Hankton background:
- Telly Hankton described by local law enforcers and Mayor Mitch Landrieu as New Orleans "Most Dangerous Criminal" and is the reported head of notorious Central City crime family.
- Hankton's organization reportedly has ties to violent street crews, drug and gun running and murder.
- Last year, the 35-year-old Hankton was convicted of second degree murder in the 2008 killing Darnell Stewart near the intersection of Claiborne and Louisiana.
- Hankton is also accused in the October 2011 shooting of John Mathews, the owner of the Jazz Daiquiri Lounge on South Claiborne and a witness to an earlier murder involving Hankton. Matthews was shot 17 times in his home. Hankton's cousin Thomas "Squirt" Hankton was arrested for the crime. Mathews' brother Curtis was shot and killed outside the Daiquiri Lounge three days later.
- Three women including Hankton's mother and a Hankton cousin allegedly hatched a perjury scheme during Telly Hankton's first murder trial that ended in a hung jury.
- Hankton is now serving a life sentence for murder at Angola, but is also accused in the 2009 killing of rival Jesse "Tu Tu" Reed.