METAIRIE, La. - The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s office has dropped its investigation into a 60-year-old cab driver who was alleged to have sexually assaulted a female customer.
Pervez Iqbal, an American Cab Company driver, had been accused last week of picking up a drunk woman in the French Quarter then taking her to his Metairie home and raping her.
The woman’s story had several inconsistencies and she did not want to pursue the charges further, said sheriff spokesman Col. John Fortunato.
The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office last week refused a second-degree kidnapping charge against Iqbal, just two days after his arrest in New Orleans.
"Sometimes the evidence just isn't there," said Assistant District Attorney Christopher Bowman. He noted that the office conducted an investigation and found the charges weren't warranted.
Iqbal was accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 25-year-old woman on Sept. 29. Investigators said the woman left the Jax Brewery on Decatur Street that morning.
The woman later identified him in a photographic line up, with help from photos provided by the city's taxi cab bureau