NEW ORLEANS -- Police arrested a 20-year-old man in connection with the shooting and carjacking of a 53-year-old man in his driveway in the 3400 block of Camp Street in October 2012.
Byron Johnson, 20, was arrested at his home in eastern New Orleans, according to police. He was charged with attempted first degree murder, aggravated burglary, armed robbery, possession of stolen property and theft of an automobile.
At an afternoon press conference on Thursday, police said there could be as many as four suspects in the case. They said fingerprints and DNA evidence led them to their first suspect.
After the victim, Sandy Kaynor, was shot and bleeding in his driveway, according to police, two other men and Johnson went into the home and took the Kaynor's car keys and other belongings. The suspects eventually took the Kaynor's SUV.
"Because no eyewitnesses have come forward, detectives in this case headed by Detective Kristen Krzemieniecki, have been relying on forensic and physical evidence to link Johnson to the crimes. Several of the victims’ belongings had been recovered from Johnson’s residence soon after the crime was committed last October," said a statement from police.
Police released Johnson's criminal history, which includes: 12 felony arrests, 10 misdemeanor arrests, and noted at the time of the crime he was on probation for illegally carrying a weapon.
“This suspect’s record, with multiple illegal firearm charges- including his arrest just last September- which was just a month before the Camp Street shooting- is nothing less than reprehensible, and the people of New Orleans deserve better," said Superintendent Ronal Serpas.
“I was stunned to learn that Johnson was on probation for a second Illegal Use of a Weapon charge at the time he allegedly attacked this man.”
Family and friends put on a fundraiser to help Kaynor pay for his medical expenses. Kaynor lost a substantial amount blood from the attack and wasn't expected to survive.