LAPLACE, La. – The man believed to be the triggerman in a shooting at a LaPlace animal feed store that left a man dead and his wife injured turned himself to the U.S. Marshalls Fugitive Task Force at noon Thursday after arranging to do so through his attorney, Sheriff Mike Tregre said.
The move by Charles Mcquarter III, 22, came less than 12 hours after the first suspect did the same thing. Dracier Dewey, 22, surrendered to police early Thursday morning. In his confession, Tregre said Dewey named Mcquarter as the gunman.
He is charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery and a parole violation. He is being held without bond.
Mcquarter was arrested in 2012 on second-degree murder and weapons charges. It was not immediately clear what came of that arrest since Mcquarter was not in prison.
Store owner Steven Finckbeiner was fatally shot and his wife, Constance, was injured in the robbery. She was treated at a local hospital and by Wednesday evening, one of her sons said she had been released and was recovering.
Dewey was arrested and booked with principal to armed robbery, principal to first-degree murder and principal to attempted first-degree murder. His total bond on the charges is $1.6 million.
Surveillance video showed two men leaving the feed store shortly after the shooting. A man in a red jacket appears first, then the other shows up carrying what looks like a cash register.
The ordeal began when the two entered the Finckbeiner’s feed store to inquire about shots for dogs. The two men were turned away.
“They exited the LaPlace Feed store but returned immediately, which we believe was a ruse or disguise and the plan was to rob the store itself,” Tregre said.
Anyone with information to locate Mcquarter III is asked to call the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office TIPS line at 985-359-TIPS (8477), Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111 or emergency law enforcement by dialing 911.