Explosion in New York: What we know Monday

An update on an explosion rocked the heart of New York City, injuring 29.

NEW YORK -- Investigators are working to determine who was behind the explosion that injured more than two dozen people Saturday in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood. Here is what we know so far:

What happened?

The explosion occurred just after 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, at 133 W. 23rd St., between Sixth and Seventh Avenues in a neighborhood with a bustling nightlife. The fire department said 29 people were hurt by the blast, but none of the injuries were life-threatening and all 29 people were released from area hospitals by Sunday morning. The explosion was from an apparent homemade device placed in front of a residence for the blind and near a major thoroughfare with many restaurants. A second device, believed to be a pressure cooker, was later found four blocks away on West 27th Street and was safely removed early Sunday, according to the New York Police Department.

Was it a terrorist attack?

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday that investigators so far have not found any connection to international terrorist groups, and there is no further immediate threat to the city.

New York Mayor Bill De Blasio called the incident an "intentional" act" but said the city had received "no specific and credible threat" from any terror organization.

De Blasio also said investigators have so far found no connection to an incident earlier Saturday in Seaside Heights, N.J., in which a pipe bomb exploded near a Marine charity run. In that instance, the device was placed in a garbage can. No injuries were reported.

Have authorities identified any suspects?

Investigators have not yet identified any suspects in the case. A federal law enforcement official, who was not authorized to comment publicly, told USA TODAY that surveillance footage shows what appears to be the same person moving devices into place at the site of the explosion, and at the location where the undetonated pressure cooker was discovered.

FBI agents conducted a traffic stop just off the Verrazano bridge, which connects Staten Island to Brooklyn, Sunday night. The agency said the stop was related to its investigation of the Chelsea explosion, although no one has been charged with a crime.

In another development late Sunday, a suspicious device found in a trash can near a New Jersey train station was being examined, and service on the busy Northeast Corridor line has been suspended.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment