BP sues maker of failed blowout preventer

BP sues maker of failed blowout preventer

BP sues maker of failed blowout preventer

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on April 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 20 at 5:45 PM

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- BP is suing the maker of the device that failed to stop last year's calamitous Gulf oil spill, alleging negligence that the oil giant says helped cause the disaster.

 

The British company says in papers filed in federal court in New Orleans on Wednesday that Cameron International provided a blowout preventer with a faulty design, and in doing so caused an unreasonable amount of risk that harm would occur.

The suit, filed on the first anniversary of the spill, seeks damages to help BP pay for the tens of billions of dollars in liabilities it has incurred from disaster.

Eleven people were killed when the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded, leading to more than 200 million gallons of oil spewing from a BP well a mile beneath the ocean.

A testing firm hired by the government determined last month that the blowout preventer had a faulty design. But it also cited other problems related to rig crew actions.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

 

Print
Email
|