N.O. doctor in D.C. to present info on children swallowing dangerous magnets

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on June 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

WWLTV.com
Email: webteam@wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV

 

WASHINGTON D.C. - The Consumer Product Safety Commission will hear testimony from a New Orleans doctor on the growing number of cases of toddlers being injured after swallowing small, but very powerful, magnets.

Various companies market the magnets as "desk toys" and "stress relievers" for adults.

But, two-year-old Braylon Jordan's tiny intestines were squeezed together by the magnets.

The toddler had to have five life-saving surgeries after doctors found eight magnets inside of his stomach.

Dr. Adam Noel, associate professor of pediatrics at LSU Health Sciences Center, will present information about Jordan's case, as well as other documented cases.

Print
Email
|