The potential problems to watch for can seem overwhelming, as study after study has shown the dangers in eating a high-fat diet, smoking and not getting enough exercise. Heart disease is also one of the biggest killers of both men and women. Mackie Shilstone is back with the top five foods to protect against heart disease.
Heart attack symptoms
- Pain or discomfort in the jaw, neck, or back
- Feeling weak, light-headed, or faint
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Pain or discomfort in arms or shoulder
- Shortness of breath
Top five foods to get heart healthy (WebMD):
- Blueberries- Blueberries top the list as one of the most powerful disease-fighting foods because they contain anthocyanins, the antioxidant responsible for their dark blue color.
- Salmon - This cold-water fish is a great source of protein and is also packed with heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. The American Heart Association advises eating salmon and other omega-3 rich foods twice a week for benefits that go beyond heart health.
- Soy Protein - A diet rich in soy protein can lower triglycerides, which help prevent cardiovascular disease and keep your heart strong and healthy. In those with high cholesterol levels, the benefits of soy foods are due to their high levels of polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Oatmeal - Oats are nourishing whole grains and a great source of vitamins, minerals, and cholesterol-lowering fiber.
- Spinach - The rich, dark color in spinach comes from the multiple phytochemicals, vitamins, and minerals (especially folate and iron) that also fight disease, protect against heart disease, and preserve your eyesight.
Mackie has more information on this topic and others on his website.