Monica Hernandez and Dominic Massa / Eyewitness News
NEW ORLEANS – With the city approaching the sixth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, local, state and federal officials on Thursday announced $45 million in additional money is coming to the city to repair streets in the hard-hit Lower 9th Ward.
In addition to the Lower Ninth Ward street repair projects announced at a Thursday news conference, the city and FEMA said they have completed road and sidewalk assessments for 28 other neighborhoods.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu also tallied up more than $1 billion in federal money that has come to the region since the storm and federal levee failures in 2005, for both city improvements and rebuilding, as well as for the Sewerage and Water Board. The city has received nearly $706 million and the water board has received $376.5 million, Landrieu’s office said.
The mayor was joined at the news conference by officials from FEMA and the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.
Last year, Landrieu targeted more than 100 projects, covering a wide range of public needs, from recreation and health care to libraries and criminal justice facilities. City leaders say better coordination with FEMA is moving the projects closer to fruition.
The more than two dozen other neighborhoods targeted for street repairs under the plans announced Thursday include: Broadmoor, Bywater, Filmore, Florida Area, Florida Development, Holy Cross, Lake Catherine-Venetian Isles, Lakeshore-Lake Vista, Lakeview, Lakewood, Little Woods, Marlyville-Fountainbleau, Marigny, Mid-City, Milan, Milneburg, Navarre, Plum Orchard, Pontchartrain Park, Read Boulevard East, St. Anthony, St. Claude, St. Roch, Touro, Treme-Lafitte, Viavant, West End, and West Lake Forest.
The city said other neighborhood assessments are ongoing.