CHALMETTE, La. -- Fights broke out Wednesday afternoon at a housing voucher application center in Chalmette, forcing officials to shut it down.
St. Bernard deputies arrested six people for various offenses throughout the day.
Witnesses say tempers flared after some applicants tried to cut in front of others who had been waiting in very long lines.
Some people told us they had waited for hours, but never got to file their applications after officials shut it down.
“I’m on disability, so that is really putting me in a very hurtful situation,” said applicant Kelly Ford.
Parish officials say they will re-open the housing voucher application process again at 9 a.m. Thursday at the St. Bernard Civic Center.