Judge denies Nagin's request to delay trial

Judge denies Nagin's request to delay trial

Credit: Getty Images

(Photo by Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 23 at 2:35 PM

WWLTV.com
Email: webteam@wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV

NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has denied a request by former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin to have his corruption trial delayed indefinitely.

Nagin's attorney Robert Jenkins filed a motion to delay Nagin's upcoming public corruption trial amid the scandal surrounding online comments made by former members of the U.S. Attorney's Office.

In her ruling that denied that request, U.S. District Court Judge Ginger Berrigan said, "The Court acknowledges the utterly juvenile postings by various prosecutors and how much they demeaned their high offices in doing so."

But Berrigan said an indictment by prosecutors is not evidence of guilt and "the jury, and only the jury, will decide whether the defendant is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

Nagin was a frequent target of at least one of the former federal prosecutors involved in posting improper online comments before and during the 2011 trial of five former New Orleans police officers. The former police officers were convicted in the cover-up and shooting of unarmed civilians on the Danziger Bridge after Hurricane Katrina struck the city in 2005.

But last week, U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt called the commenting "highly unusual, extensive and truly bizarre," and threw out the convictions.

Jenkins had wanted Nagin's trial be postponed until a final report on the online posting scandal is completed by the Department of Justice's special investigator John Horn. Horn is the First Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia.

Print
Email
|