NEW ORLEANS -- Thrity minutes after a bomb scare began, people began going back inside the Marriott on Canal Street and rush hour traffic was allowed to resume in the heart of downtown.
The scare was one of the latest suspicious packages authorities have been called to investigate across the metro area since a bombing at the Boston Marathon Monday.
Around 3:20 p.m. 911 service received a call from an unidentified man who said: “There is a bomb in the Marriott Hotel and it’s about to blow,” according to police.
"All Marriott hotels in the downtown area were immediately notified, and officers were dispersed to inspect every floor of every hotel in search of anything that looked suspicious," said a statement from police.
"An employee at the Marriott in the 500-block of Canal street then alerted management that there was a backpack in one of the bar areas that had been left unattended for some time. Once hotel guests and staff in that hotel were evacuated from the building, an NOPD canine was brought in and determined that there were no explosives in the backpack."
The hotel was evacuated and traffic around the hotel was redirected -- Canal Street was closed between Royal Street and Decatur Street -- as police investigated the threat.