Man dies in Slidell mobile home fire

Man dies in Slidell mobile home fire

Man dies in Slidell mobile home fire

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on December 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Updated Sunday, Dec 22 at 5:26 PM

WWLTV.com
Email: webteam@wwltv.com | Twitter: @WWLTV

SLIDELL, La. -- A man died in a St. Tammany fire that investigators believe was started by a burning cigarette.

It happened at about 4:30 p.m. Saturday in a mobile home in the 37400 block of East Hillcrest Drive in Slidell.

St. Tammany Fire District #1 spokesman Chad A. Duffaut said a neighbor alerted one of the residents of the home, who was outside at the time, about smoke billowing out of the bedroom window.

They called 911, and Duffaut said fire trucks were on the scene in less than four minutes.

Firefighters made an immediate rescue attempt after arriving, Duffaut said, but they were unsuccessful as the victim had already died.

The fire was put under control within eight minutes.

Crews are investigating what started the fire, but Duffaut said they believe a cigarette sparked the blaze.

The victim won't be identified until the man's family is notified. Duffaut did say he was an elderly man.

Print
Email
|