Six months seems like a long transition period.
Considering the long list of crises that await Mayor-Elect Latoya Cantrell, she’ll need at least that long to be ready to lead New Orleans.
Cantrell’s “to-do list” includes:
- Hiring a police chief (or keeping the current chief)
- Implementing a comprehensive strategy to reduce crime
- Accelerating street repairs
- Drafting and implementing a plan for affordable housing
- An of course, fixing the Sewerage & Water Board.
Any one of those tasks would be first on the list for a new mayor. All that and more awaits Cantrell in May.
When you think about it, a six-month transition is exactly what our new mayor needs.
© 2017 WWL-TV