Unattended stove causes 2-alarm fire in Gentilly

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- A fire caused by an unattended stove almost left a residential duplex destroyed Saturday night. 

New Orleans Fire Department received a call shortly after 8:30 p.m. from the 4900 block of Lafaye Street reporting a fire from a two-story stucco veneer duplex. When NOFD got there, heavy smoke was coming from several windows on the second floor.

After speaking to the resident of the unit, she admitted to firefighters that she had food on the stove and simply lost track of time, returning to a smoke-filled kitchen. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fire.

Even though the lower unit was not directly damaged by the fire, NOFD said it had smoke and water damage.

No residents or firefighters were injured. 

© 2017 WWL-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment