JEFFERSON PARISH, La. - After delivering bins across the parish, Jefferson is set to start recycling during the first week of July.
Recycling will be picked up on the first garbage day of the week for eastbank residents.
Recycling will be picked up on the second garbage collection day for westbank residents.
Accepted materials include:
- Paper – newspapers and inserts, phone books, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, advertisement mailers/flyers (envelope labels and windows are acceptable), home office paper (sticky notes, manila envelopes, file folders and paper ream wrappers are acceptable),shredded paper (in plastic bags), dark-colored paper, envelopes and folders, greeting cards and paper bags
- Boxboard – thin cardboard like cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, soda cartons, etc.
- Cardboard – corrugated cardboard
- Aluminum – aluminum cans, such as soda cans, and aluminum foil
- Steel – steel food cans, such as soup cans and tuna cans
- Plastic – containers with the triangle recycling symbol on them with # 1 through #7 inside the triangle
Materials not accepted include:
- Glass containers of any kind
- Containers that held chemicals, pesticides, motor oil, paint, acids
- Plastic grocery bags - Check with your local grocery store, as many local retailers accept plastic shopping bags for recycling.
- Styrofoam egg cartons, packing peanuts
- Aerosol spray cans
- Food and beverage containers with a wax coating