Eric Heisig / Houma Courier
Here is a brief look at each homicide in Terrebonne and Lafourche this year, including trial dates if set.
- Quincy Smith, 27, of Houma, was found dead Jan. 7 in a wooded area behind a Smithridge home. Police said they believe Smith was shot in the head a week before by his cousin, LaShawn Smith, over drugs. LaShawn Smith, 32, is charged with second-degree murder. His trial is set for Feb. 22.
- Sherry Gautreaux, 42, of Raceland, was found dead March 7 in a water-filled ditch along Brule Guillot Road in Thibodaux. Police said Darrel Ansardi, her boyfriend, shot Gautreaux in the chest during an argument and that her body had been on roadside for a week before it was found. Ansardi, 53, is charged with second-degree murder. His trial is set for Jan. 9.
- Peppetra Guidroz, 47, of Houma, was stabbed March 9 in a car behind Burger King, 1033 W. Tunnel Blvd., allegedly by her husband, Stanley Guidroz, during an argument. Guidroz, 54, drove his wife's body more than 100 miles and surrendered to an unsuspecting police department in Zachary. He is charged with second-degree murder. His trial is set for Feb. 22.
- Ryan Scott, 19, of Houma, was shot in the chest, allegedly by his friend, Blake Rolando, in front of a home on Highland Drive in Houma on April 18. Rolando, 20, told investigators the gun accidently went off in his hand. He is charged with manslaughter; his trial is March 12.
- Darian Wilson, 32, of Houma, was shot multiple times May 3 while driving near West and Larry streets in east Houma, during what police said was a robbery. Adrian Winslow, Terrance Wheaton and Caleb Wilson were originally arrested. However, Caleb Wilson was later let go. Winslow , 21, and Wheaton, 18, are charged with first-degree murder. Terrebonne First Assistant District Attorney Carlos Lazarus said his office is not pursuing the death penalty. Their trial is set for Jan. 9.
- Russell Jacobs, 52, of Houma, was beaten to death during an argument at his Lafayette Street apartment. Kendall Scott, 26, Dontrell Robertson, 21, and Herbert Watkins, 21, were later charged. After the beating, the men drove Jacobs' body to a field off Marietta Place in Gray, doused it with a flame accelerant and lit it, authorities said. His body was found May 23. The trio is charged with second-degree murder and obstruction of justice. Their trial is set for March 12.
- Corey Short, 23, of Gray, was shot in the chest Oct. 2. Police said they believe he was killed over a drug deal gone bad. Short's cousin, Joshua Short, and his friend, Chad Mart, were arrested in the death. The pair were indicted on a second-degree murder charge last week. A trial date has not been set.
- Rickey Galmore, 53, of Houma, was stabbed in the neck during what police said was a robbery Oct. 9. Galmore allegedly broke into a house on Hobson Street in Houma owned by Jose Vasquez. During a struggle, Galmore was stabbed and was found dead in the middle of the road. Vasquez was charged with second-degree murder, though the charge was dropped after authorities determined he acted out of self defense.
- Catina Stewart Jack, 38, of Gibson, was shot in the head and left on the side of Talbot Avenue in Thibodaux June 16. Jamie Coleman, 35, is believed to have shot Jack. He was arrested the same day she was killed, though was not formally charged until four days later. Coleman is charged with second-degree murder. His trial is set for May 21.
- Jori Lirette, 7, of Thibodaux, was decapitated and dismembered, allegedly by his father, Jeremiah Wright, on Aug. 14. He was arrested that day. Wright, 31, is charged with first-degree murder, though court proceedings are on hold because he was deemed unfit to stand trial.