New Orleans will send first responders to help Puerto Rico's recovery

President Trump says he's doing a great job in his response to the crisis in Puerto Rico following hurricane Maria. Veuer's Nick Cardona (@nickcardona93) has that story.

NEW ORLEANS - The City of New Orleans will deploy a team of first responders to Puerto Rico to help recovery efforts after Hurricane Maria.

According to a statement released Wednesday morning, a total of 10 first responders from the New Orleans Fire Department’s Incident Management Team will leave Thursday. The team will return to Louisiana Friday, December 15.

The NOFD Incident Management Team includes employees from the NOFD and New Orleans Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.

“Because New Orleans’ unique experience with disaster recovery, NOFD and NOHSEP have been assigned to provide incident management support to local emergency personnel in some of the hardet hit areas of Puerto Rico,” a statement from Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s office said.

NOFD and NOHSEP have previously deployed teams in Port Arthur, Texas after Hurricane Harvey and Monroe County, Florida after Hurricane Irma.

The request from assistance came through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact. EMAC is a national agreement at allows states to request help from other states during a disaster.

 

© 2017 WWL-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment