N.O. Mission to stay open, director to be paid $1 salary

Print
Email
|

wwltv.com

Posted on June 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Updated Friday, Jun 8 at 4:40 PM

Melanie Hebert / Eyewitness News
Email: mhebert@wwltv.com | Twitter: @melaniehebert

NEW ORLEANS - Not only will the New Orleans Mission stay open through the summer, but the board now said it will save thousands of dollars with a new director.

"I think you will find a much more efficient mission," said Board President Bennett Powell.

At a news conference Friday morning Powell announced businessman David Bottner will be paid only $1 his first year to serve as the new executive director, saving the mission well over $100,000 for two director salaries.

"I think you will see a difference in the way we love the men and women in this community," Bottner said. "We will promote growth and change and stability in their lives. We will not continue on the same path."

The City of New Orleans also announced $50,000 in emergency shelter grants to both the Mission and Ozanam Inn, in addition to an anonymous donor contribution of $30,000 to keep the mission open.

In a sudden move Thursday, the directors of the mission for the past seven years, Ron and Linda Gonzales, resigned along with their two sons, who worked as the directors of operations and maintenance.

Earlier this week Ron Gonzales told WWL-TV the mission would close for the summer because it had run out of money, claiming only $3,000 left in the bank while facing an overhead of between $50,000 and $60,000 each month.

Last year the mission received $100,000 from the city, but this year the city said the mission lost out on HUD funding due to having low scores in the competitive process among local shelters.

 

Print
Email
|