ST. JOHN PARISH PRESS RELEASE
DRC, the debris removal company, will begin hauling construction and demolition (everything except white goods, vegetative debris, and hazardous waste) Tuesday morning. Vegetative debris is expected to be picked up beginning Thursday. Progressive, the garbage company will continue picking up white goods (refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc).
Applications for truck vendors to hauls debris are being accepted by DRC. The application and insurance requirements will be available through the Parish Office.
Please be reminded debris must be separated into piles listed below and documented before throwing away. Place debris near the curb; not in the street. Debris must be separated into vegetative (organic, trees, shrubs, stumps, etc), construction & demolition debris (any treated wood or lumber drywall, roofing materials), white goods (refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers), household hazardous waste, and e-waste (computers, televisions, etc).
When separating debris please remember the following:
- Pile debris as neatly as possible near the curb, but not in the street. Try to keep the height of the pile under three feet.
- Do not place debris near mail boxes, utility boxes, utility poles, water meters or fire hydrants. Inadvertent damage can occur if those items are covered
- Do not place piles next to fences or cars. For safety assurance, no attempt is made to collect debris piled next to mailboxes, fences or cars. A 10-foot separation distance is recommended
- Do not place material for pick-up under low wires or overhanging tree limbs. Debris loaders cannot maneuver the collection arm safely under low-hanging objects
- Consider placing debris piles on an old sheet of plywood or other similar material to minimize damage by the debris loader to your yard
Please note it is not required to have an insurance assessment of materials before throwing debris away. However, it is important to photograph all debris being thrown away as proof for insurance agencies. When separating the materials, take a photo of each asset with the home in the background. Also create a descriptive list of all assets that were lost to correctly record all damages. White good are being picked up by the garbage service; however, all other debris will be picked up separately. This schedule will be posted once finalized.