September 2, 2012 – 9:05 a.m.
REMINDER: As a safety precaution, please place generators in an open area. Do not keep them within enclosed doors.
EVACUATIONS: Total 3936 evacuations
POD Sites: Four POD locations: Open from 9: 00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Tarps will be available at all POD locations by lunch time today.
- 1. East St. John Elementary. 400 Ory Drive, LaPlace, LA 70068
- 2. Fifth Ward Elementary 158 Panther Drive, Reserve, LA 70084
- 3. Garyville/Mt. Airy Math and Science Magnet 240 LA Hwy 54 Mount Airy, LA 70076
- 4. St. John the Baptist Courthouse 2393 Hwy 18 Edgard, LA 70049
FEMA- St. John the Baptist Parish is one of 5 parishes approved for individual assistance (IA), disaster relief, and federal funding.
Individuals and households who sustained losses from Hurricane Isaac and whose losses are not covered by insurance can begin applying for assistance by registering online at www.disasterassistance.gov/, or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY).
A Disaster Recovery Center is open today between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. in the New Wine Parking Lot, 1929 W. Airline Hwy., LaPlace. Times are subject to change based on the needs of the community.
The following documents are required for the Individual Assistance application process
- Pre-diseaster address
- Telephone number to be contacted
- Insurance information
- Total household annual income
- Bank Account Information
- Description of losses caused by Hurricane Isaac
BUSINESSES: The Small Business Association is also located at the Disaster Recovery Center to provide information on low interest loans for small businesses who have experienced damage to their business.
Open Businesses can be viewed at sjbparish.com.
FOOD STAMPS: All low-to moderate-income Louisianans should pre-apply online for Disaster Food Stamps at www.dss.louisiana.gov or call 1-888-LAHELPU (524-3578). Information needed for pre-applications is as follows:
- Social Security Number
- birth date for each household member
- Parish where you currently live
- Residential address
- Monthly income for each household member
- Liquid resources for each household member such as:
- Cash on Hand
- Checking Accounts
- Savings Accounts
- Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
- Money Market Accounts
RED CROSS: 4 disaster Teams are in the area and began damage assessment throughout the parish yesterday afternoon. Once assessments are done information regarding financial assistance will become available.
Choice International, 516 East Airline Hwy, LaPlace – Distributing non-perishable food items and ice beginning 10:00 a. m. while supplies last
Ascension of Our Lord, 1801 Greenwood Drive, LaPlace, LA – 3500 hot meals and cleaning supplies at 1:00 p.m. until supplies are gone
Donation Center – The Old Rainbow Chevrolet Parking Lot, 2020 W. Airline Hwy, LaPlace – Beginning at noon today, donations such as water, cleaning supplies, non-perishable food items, and infant supplies including diapers and formula will be accepted.
Other donation centers and assistance are being coordinated with other organizations. Anyone interested in setting up a donation center or wanting to send in donations, please call Dana Milioto at 985-652-9569 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GARBAGE: All residents are asked to place their garbage cans near the curb for pick up. The garbage company is getting to every area possible. As a safety precaution, trucks cannot pass through high water. Once levels subside, service will restore.
EVACUATION PHONE LINE: Call 2-1-1 for location information on evacuees and for shelter information.
WATER SUPPLY: Water Supply has been restored.
A boil water advisory is in effect until further notice for the West Bank and LaPlace residents. The Boil Water Advisory for the West Bank is expected to be lifted today.
POWER: 15,960 customers our 20.0% restored
PLEASE NOTE: The areas listed below are only geneal areas. It is not the ONLY areas Entergy is working.
Entergy is working in the following general areas today:
- Hemlock to W 5th to Montz
- Riverlands Estate down river
- Off Madewood, Parlange, Renzi, Chatsworth
- Behind St. Charles School and Nursing Home
- 27th and 28th Street toward Nalco
- River Road between DuPont and E22nd
- Westbank – working on feeder poles
Completed work since Saturday, September 1
- Airline from English Colony SE toward Windsor
- Except for isolated areas – Entergy circuits are energized from Marathon to Bayou Steele
CURFEW: Curfew between 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. – St. John Residents can enter with proper ID
Motorists are advised to use alternate routes based on the roads that are currently open.
MAJOR ROAD CLOSURES: For travel information, call 5-1-1 or visit www.lsp.org
- Airline Highway closed at LA 22 (Ascension Parish)
- Hwy 641 between Airline to the Gramercy exit is closed
- West 5th (LA 628) at Ideal Court NOW OPEN
- I-55 on/off ramps are closed – lanes are open for travel
- I-10 – all four lanes are open for travel
- I-10 at Belle Terre –all on/off ramps are open
- I-10 at Hwy 51 – off ramps are closed