SHELBYVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11)- Two medical experts testified in a Shelbyville courtroom today, where a doctor is being sued for amputating a man's penis.
The man says he did not give his consent.
The trial has been making national headlines.
Both experts had differing opinions on what the doctor did after discovering cancer on the patient's penis.
Jurors, court spectators and the media are hearing the intimate and graphic details about circumstances surrounding Phillip Seaton having his penis partially removed in October of 2007 after he went in for what he thought was a routine surgical procedure.
Inside the courtroom, in front of a jury of eight women and six men, most of the talk has been about Phillip Seaton's penis, as one witness after another provided graphic details.
"The entire what used to be the head of the penis was cancer. You could feel that," Dr. John Patterson, the urologist who performed the partial penilectory, testified today.
"It looked like a cauliflower," said Surgical Nurse Frank Nelson.
Another expert, former Duke University Urology Professor Dr. David Paulsen testified that it appeared that the growth had been around for at least 18 to 24 months, based on its size.
It eventually was determined to be stage two cancer.
Another expert, Dr. David Benson, said, "Men are very attached to their penises." He gave his professional opinion that Dr. Patterson should have consulted with Seaton and his wife before removing his penis.
Dr. Patterson testified that he feared that if he waited, Seaton could have died from cancer or an infection and may not have been able to properly urinate, based on his symptoms.
Seaton is asking for millions of dollars in damages.
The jury is expected to get the case Wednesday afternoon.