Guinea opposition drops out of vote counting

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on October 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 3 at 10:33 AM

CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) — The political opposition in Guinea is rejecting initial results from the weekend legislative election and is also withdrawing from the vote counting process.

Sidya Toure, an opposition politician, said Thursday that the opposition would remove its representatives from the electoral commission building where votes are being counted.

The long-awaited poll sparked violence even before voters cast their ballots Saturday, as the two sides sparred over how the election would be carried out.

Initially results had been expected within 72 hours. However, the electoral commission later said the 72-hour window would begin when it had received all the ballots, a process still not complete nearly a week later.

Opposition leaders already have said that the vote was marred by "appalling" fraud, something the government denies.

Print
Email
|